Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jog!

It has been a while since my last posting, so let's summarize, shall we? American stores are awesome, Disneyland is indeed the happiest place on earth, our families are well, so many people to visit - so little time, the holiday's were merry, everyone got sick so we stayed three extra days, packing after Christmas was a chore, farewell sweet root beer, 7 hours in an airport is too long - way too long, and finally...oh man is good to be home! That's right, after a year of complaining I was actually relieved to get here.

Don't get me wrong, I will happily move back to the US after our time is up, but, for now at least, this is home. When we stepped off the plane, I waited for the smell of India to hit me. I was braced for it. But you know what? It wasn't the terrible smell that I remembered it being. It was just familiar. Comforting even. The sights and sounds of the city as we drove home were welcoming instead of depressing. Now if someone would just unpack for me. Blech!

I am very grateful to India for giving me 3 days to deal with jet lag before having a little fun at my expense. This morning we had several power surges that were very entertaining. Lights buzzing at maximum brightness, popping sounds all over, bulbs going out and everyone generally fearing for their lives. My favorite, though, was was the gate bell.

We have a bell at our gate. Visitors can choose between two buttons. The first sounds like a bell and activates the intercom. The second sounds like a bird chirping and just works as a doorbell. For some reason, one of the power surges started the electronic bird chirping. At first it was soft and slow. Then the chirping started getting faster and louder. Nothing we did would stop it. Not even unplugging the intercom box. You can only listen to a hyper active bird chirping for so long before you start to have violent thoughts. That, combined with the frequent and freaky power surges, had us turning off the power to the house this morning for about an hour. After an hour I knew the electrician would be showing up soon so I turned it back on so he could see what was going on. Can anyone guess what I am going to say next? Everything had stopped. No surges, no chirping, nothing.

Don't you just love it when you look like an idiot? I explained everything to the electrician and he looked around to be nice. Soon he was packing up to leave and I felt like a fool. Fortunately, just as he was about to leave, there was a rush of power and the chirping started again. Thank goodness. He looked very perplexed and started taking the intercom apart. About 30 minutes later he informed me that he had fixed the problem and all was well. This is almost never true, but the bird was silent, so, I was too.

Then, with comic timing worthy of Monty Python, the sound of the the door closing behind the departing electrician was met with the sound of the bird chirping. Again. Even as I type, the little bird is singing to me. He's taunting me. He sings, "All chirping and no quiet makes Amy go crazy!" But I'll get him yet. I know where Uday keeps the wire cutters and I'm not afraid to use them. Chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp *snip*.....ahhhhh.


suburbancorrespondent said...

Oh, definitely the wire-cutters. That would drive me certifiably insane.

Toni said...

What!!! You were here three extra days and didn't call me? Okay, I know everyone was sick, but I could have come up and helped you clean up after everyone! We could have visited more as we wiped up.

My little Em was screaming during the night. I wish I had wire cutters for her. Now how will you know when someone is visiting? Hey, that can be a plus also.

Aunt Carol said...

After many years without a doorbell and missing the knocks at the downstairs door (our living area in on the second level) we finally bought a nice doorbell. Well guess what we have a chiming clock and you guessed it they have the exact same ring. Now when we hear the sound, I look at the clock first to see if it is on the hour, if not I answer the door. ONE time it was on the hour and someone rang the door at the same time. AHHHHHHHHH

Welcome home, we already miss you! Oh I have a chirping christmas ornament, want it???

Alisa said...

I have experiences like this but with the pediatrician. "I swear Dr. Jones, her fever was high all night and she couldn't stop coughing. I know she hasn't coughed at all since we walked in, but it's been constant. Really."

Lauren said...

Amen to the pediatrician comment. If my kids are hacking, vomiting, running high fevers, and crying from pain at home, all symptoms immediately cease upon stepping foot into the doctor's office. I should just live there.

Marilyn said...

We miss you already too and wish you would come back soon. Sorry we were all sick while you were here. Kind of put a damper on everything. I think I will blame Aaron, he was the first to get sick. Thank you for all your help, we could never have done it. And for our beautiful chairs. I know you aren't ready for a 20 hour plane trip yet, but when you are just come home.